Key Quarterly Concepts (click here to view a larger copy)
Key Yearly Skills to Reinforce at Home
- Discuss how current events in our local and global community in reference to the main ideas taught in 5th grade
- Discuss the bias and reliability of news sources and advertisements that are encountered
- Discuss how your child can responsibly excercise his/her rights
- Watch documentaries about key topics and main ideas taught in 5th grade
- Watch or listen to speeches and discuss what makes them effective or ineffective
- Encourage your child to explore the resources found on the student page: http://sch.hcpss.org/resources
Family Field Trip Opportunities to Deepen Knowledge of 5th Grade Topics
NOTE: This is just a list to get you started, we are fortunate to live in an area filled with history.
- Howard County Area
- Local Community Meetings (e.g. Home Owners Association, neighborhood meeting, etc.)
- Howard County Historical Society
- Howard County Council- (great to attend a hearing)
- Howard County Center of African American Culture
- Benjamin Banneker Museum in Oella
- Visit a Howard County Library and look through books related to the main ideas taught in 5th grade
- Annapolis, MD
- Baltimore, MD
- Washington D.C.
- White House (must arrange ahead of time)
- Supreme Court
- U.S. Capitol Building (great to attend a hearing)
- Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture (Parent discretion advised for Emmitt Till exhibit)
- Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian
- Smithsonian Museum of American History
- Frederick Douglas Museum National Historic Park
- Library of Congress
- National Archives
- Mount Vernon (George Washington)
- Ford's Theatre
- Philadelphia, P.A.
- Gettysburg, P.A.